Hyundai Elantra Owners Manual
If the tire is worn evenly, a tread wear indicator will appear as a solid band across the tread. This shows there is less than 1/16 inch (1.6 mm) of tread left on the tire. Replace the tire when this happens.
Do not wait for the band to appear across the entire tread before replacing the tire.
To reduce the chance or serious or fatal injuries from an accident caused by tire failure or loss of vehicle control:
- Replace tires that are worn, show uneven wear, or are damaged. Worn tires can cause loss of braking effectiveness, steering control, and traction.
- Do not drive your vehicle with too little or too much pressure in your tires. This can lead to uneven wear and tire failure.
- When replacing tires, never mix radial and bias-ply tires on the same car. You must replace all tires if moving from radial to bias-ply tires.
- Using tires and wheel other than the recommended sizes could cause unusual handling characteristics and poor vehicle control, resulting in a serious accident.
- Wheels that do not meet HYUNDAI’s specifications may fit poorly and result in damage to the vehicle or unusual handling and poor vehicle control.
- The ABS works by comparing the speed of the wheels. Tire size can affect wheel speed. When replacing tires, all 4 tires must use the same size originally supplied with the vehicle. Using tires of a different size can cause the ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) and ESC (Electronic Stability Control) to work irregularly.
Compact spare tire replacement (if equipped)
A compact spare tire has a shorter tread life than a regular size tire. Replace it when you can see the tread wear indicator bars on the tire. The replacement compact spare tire should be the same size and design tire as the one provided with your new vehicle and should be mounted on the same compact spare tire wheel. The compact spare tire is not designed to be mounted on a regular size wheel, and the compact spare tire wheel is not designed for mounting a regular size tire.